Friday, April 4, 2014

Proof of Adulthood

When I was younger, reaching my 21st birthday had always signified the gateway of adulthood - the magical age where we are no longer 'controlled' by our parents, where we could do whatever we want...and so it goes.  However, as I matured...I realised that adulthood isn't marked by a number but rather by our actions.

So what if you're 21 this year. Demanding that you want freedom is just plain bullshit for as long as we are dependant...as long as we cannot stand on our own feet we will always be ruled by our parents. Everything goes both ways. How convenient to proclaim that we are already old enough to do whatever we want but still need them to feed us, to cloth us, to pay for our education. Arguing will not serve any purpose but to proof our immaturity - this which I'm not immune to.

Parents have no obligation to fulfil our every whims and wishes. Legally they are only required to support us till 18. So if we are to live in their house we are to abide by their rules - or so my mum says. If you claim that you can do what ever you want, surely you can work for it. Financial freedom - the ability to pay our own. This is truly the ticket to freedom
However to me, health is the most important above all. This which I have experienced first hand. Within a year I've been warded twice which I'm sure is more than most my age. Some of these restrictions will affect my work opportunities as working overseas will not be a possibility. While my friends could...explore for the lack of a better word, I would be restricted to my locality as my life practically revolves around my appointments.

If this is adulthood, sometimes I'd rather be a kid again without worries. But well I'll take everything in a stride as I'm sure there is a silver lining somewhere - or so the proverb says. For now, I will be flying to South Korea in two weeks time. This would be my second trip overseas unaccompanied. I'm estimating expenses around rm5000 - a total which I hope I won't reach. I would probably post a detailed expenditure once I'm back.

1 comment:

carmensakura said...

yea, adulthood isn't all it's hyped up to be.

I kinda realized that I probably don't ever wanna grow up. Nope, no maturity for me.

Yes, financial freedom is key. But at the same time, I say, screw that. Unrealistic you say? Maybe, but I believe that living a life that is worth living for is better. If being a broke struggling person is my life but I get to do what I love, so be it, I prefer that.

Why can't you work abroad? There are hospitals abroad too? And with that, I think it's possible to work abroad. But of course, it takes a lot of planning.

And yea, you get to travel to S.Korea which is great~! I wish I got to travel. Still arguing with my parents but whatever.

Life is what we make it out to be and so, make the best out of it.