Friday, April 11, 2014

Jogoya Buffet Lunch @ Starhill Gallery

While writing this I'm sitting in front of my laptop - stomach bloated like a fat, contented little kitty. :D A little disclaimer - this isn't supposed to be a review but rather my personal experience at the outlet. 

I was supposed to meet up with a college friend of mine who has just returned home for a week of well deserved break after completing her intern-ship. Since we're 'makan' buddies its important that we pick an awesome place to eat. Going to Jogoya was decided and agreed since we both hadn't the chance to try out this place. We were pleasantly surprised (and feeling damn lucky) that there is an ongoing promotion. That brings our bill to about rm70nett per person which is a steal if the buffet is as awesome as I hoped.


I was honestly looking forward to Jogoya despite hearing a lot of negative buzz recently - mostly about the terrible wait staff and the deteriorating food quality compared to 2 years ago. But since I hadn't tried it then I've nothing to say about it. What I can say that I am glad that the bad reviews were unfounded as I had a great time at Jogoya. The staff was attentive,polite and fulfilled our requests promptly although they look rather scared intimidated when we talked to them.

After paying, we were directed to a seat near the sushi/sashimi section. It was nicely secluded while not being too far from the buffet line. As advised by reviews, we decided to order food that supposedly takes a long time to arrive first. This is done by dropping our number clip into a bowl featuring our chosen dish which will then be delivered to our table.  


There was a wide variety of cuisines and we started out with the seafood and sashimi. Mostly since it was the nearest line to us. I have to note that contrary to some reviews, the sashimi and oyster were very fresh which makes for a pleasant experience since its my first time trying out oysters. It wasn't quite my thing but it wasn't too bad either. I guess its an acquired taste. :P If raw seafood is not your thing, there are plenty of other dishes that would surely suit your taste. 


The place is huge and is divided into sections resembling hawker booths rather then buffet lines which I was confused on what they have and where they are located. It was in a way rather nice as we did a tour on the different counters and was nicely surprised by the choices presented (the effect wouldn't be there if the food was delivered in a boring straight buffet line). Although I think this will only affect first-timers since by the end of the day we could probably find our way blindfolded :3

Some of the notable sections -  Deep Fried, Salad, Sashimi, Nigiri Sushi, Cold Dishes, something like BBQ, Western - which I gave a cursory glance and skipped (nothing wrong was with the food but who comes to a buffet to gorge on pasta :3). The Tepanyaki/ Grill segment - from which I ordered the lamb was amazing. I don't remember its name and it did took a while to arrive but it was well worth it as it taste absolutely divine. Another of our favourite dish was the Claypot Curry Crab - .


We also tried their Steamed Garoupa which was delicious (not oily and no fishy smell). Some of which I skipped was Sushies, Dim sum and Mini Steamboats - basically anything I think is too ordinary or filling but honestly since there was only two of us it was quite hard to try everything. I tried three types of soups at the Chinese Cuisine section even though I know that I'm filling up vital stomach capacity with liquid - Herbal which tastes like Bak Kut Teh, Chicken Abalone and Shark Fin Soup.I didn't regret it at all as it was rich and comforting.


The highlight of the day was their range of dessert which was amazing amazing and AMAZING. If I'm not mistaken they had four large glass displays. One each for jellies/puddings, cakes, cookies and japanese sweets respectively. For ice creams lovers there was variety which you can select from Haagen Dazs and New Zealand. . My favourite was definitely the cakes as it was soft, fluffy and just fabulous. Their cookies looked delicious but I did not try them as I was already full after stuffing myself silly with cakes and ice creams. Although I was looking forward to it, the mochi wasn't anything to shout about though. 


They also had a large selection of drinks from iced slushies and cocktails to juices, coffee, tea. But my personal favourite was the mini coconut. Unlimited mind you. I think its one of their more popular items as I see pretty much every table has it. Beer and Japanese alcoholic is also offered for an additional price. 


Obviously I didn't not try everything as it was really a too large selection for just two person to attempt. :P We left after dining for 3 hours. It was money well spent and we look forward to the next promotion at Jogoya - this time with more friends. These are some moments that I'm glad I was not too influenced by reviews as it would be a shame to miss out on this. This is definitely a must re-visit. :D


No comments: